Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Gleaner

During a jaunt away from Manhattan last week, I was on my way to pick up my father's car at Pat's Towing Services in Somerville, Massachusetts (I am notoriously negligent when it comes to vehicular matters), and I encountered the most delightful little graveyard of old radiators. I imagine that these "Radiator Gardens" exist all across America. It reminds me of Agnรจs Varda's famous documentary, Les Glaneuses (The Gleaners)--it's all about people who make a life out of salvaging discarded food and objects for sustenance or simply to imbue them with new aesthetic charms. Re-contextualization is one of my favorite aspects of art history bull shit. However, I am loath to pick up anything off the street in New York City, due to my paralyzing fear of infesting my Park Avenue residence with bedbugs--that would truly terminate my "pro bono publico Manhattan maid's quarters situation."

1 comment:

AK said...

VARDA!!! JJ would be so proud.