Sunday, January 10, 2010

"are you enfianced?"

Nestled underneath the arcades of the Place Des Vosges, I debriefed on my underwhelming impression of Berlin with a couple of true Parisians. The zany stranger seated at the neighboring table overheard my less than complimentary comments about Berlin, and we delved into a discussion of urban gentrification (and the irritating characters who accompany it). There are the bobos in Paris's 17th arrondissement ("Bobo" is a term for Frenchies who are simultaneously "bourgeois" and "bohemian"); there are the yuppies in Manhattan's Murray Hill; there are the hipsters in Brooklyn's Williamsburg.

But nowadays there is something more offensive than yuppies or hipsters: the
yipster. Yuppie + Hipster = Yipster. Yipsters tend to reside post-college on the Upper East Side (where they live rent-free in apartments formerly occupied by their grandmothers). But the yipster quickly accumulates enough wealth to move to Williamsburg, where they stock their kitchens with Whole Foods groceries and frequent the gym in their full service river-view buildings.

The yipster drinks Red Stripe beers out of the bottle at the
local backyard bar venue on Friday nights. The yipster probably went to Harvard but prefers to hang out on weekends with up-and-coming artists who went to RISD. I suppose I am similar to a yipster, except that yipsters usually have real jobs so that they can eventually buy a house in Westchester County, forget the "grunge" of Brooklyn, and buy the paintings of their former 'artist friends' who gain credibility from Christie's contemporary art auction.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This was awesome and I couldn't help but laugh out loud. We're all a lot yipster, no? Ok, maybe not.

Elisa @ Globetrotting in Heels said...

I despise all these definitions. They are just ways for people to feel better than others who like different things or live in a different way.

Who decides who is a yuppie, a hipster, a yipster? Does shopping at Whole Foods automatically count? How about living in Westchester or Fairfield county? How about the mix of designer and high-street clothing one wears, is that the trick to tell where one falls?

Who cares, really? Live and let live.

The Comet said...

Elisa,

I completely agree -- I suppose there is usually a high level of parody in what I write in my blogs .. it's meant in gest and amusement ..


hope you can read some more and make light of it all.

xxo H

Anonymous said...

"I just had a moment with my doorman," Ms. Starzec recalled.