I recently attended the MIT European Career Fair to interview for a position at a big international insurance company. I was seduced into it by the following facts:a. They read my résumé (with its use of dreadfully uncorporate phrases like "one act plays," "au pair," "beauty assistant," "Teen Vogue")... and they were still interested in interviewing me.
b. Their company is based in Switzerland. That means: Swiss men strolling on the banks of lakes, ski outfits that are elegant instead of awkwardly puffy, and a general standard of cleanliness that makes France seem almost barbaric in comparison.
I dressed for the interview in the only things I could find that were remotely appropriate: a pair of fake reading glasses, a crisp white oxford button down, and an oversized beige Tod's shoulder bag. I looked comedic.
My interviewer said, as he glanced at my 'artful' CV: "So it looks like you've done all the fun stuff, and now you're looking to get serious." I don't know what he's referring to in terms of "fun stuff," as I am currently buried under a pile of art history articles with titles like "The Panoramic Landscape of Human Suffering" and "Fall of Icarus: Ovid or Solomon?"
Maybe I am indeed "looking to get serious." Or, maybe I'm just looking to become a mastermind performance artist disguised as a lesbian insurance CEO. Here's hoping.
The above picture is of the most campy-erotic corkscrew opener in history. Or maybe it's just designed for Easter Sunday or something.



No comments:
Post a Comment