Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Diamond Fell Out

Tonight I attended Theatre of Desire, a Yale undergraduate drama debauchery that takes place sporadically, in a ballroom, with donuts, coffee, and Deb Margolin, the famous feminist performance artist and playwright. I usually shudder at the sight of the overly enthusiastic theatre kid, but tonight I was feeling particularly low and needed a collaborative distraction involving cold readings of unfinished plays and outbursts of emotion that would rival my own current state of existential distress.

I witnessed a scene from a play about a girl, her lucid dreams, her therapist, and her best friend's imaginary boyfriend. The lead, Mia, pleads with her friend, Flora, to break up with the imaginary boyfriend, Clark, saying, "Flora, you have to find something real!"

But is Mia right? Do we have to find something real? What is so abominable about an imaginary boyfriend? I suppose it is considered "settling" to date someone who only exists in your fantasy life, but absurdism can go a long way in making reality more bearable. The above picture of champagne glasses also signifies something that can go a long way in making reality more bearable.

4 comments:

Leah Franqui said...

Did you like the scene or did you hate it?

JJS III said...

I think I need more imaginary friends.

The Comet said...

Obviously, I liked the scene--
it made me examine my own dilemmas..

Need I say more?

xxo HH

oh, and I definitely need more imaginary friends as well, since many of my acquaintances seem imaginary but are apparently real..

Leah Franqui said...

I know, but I think that's the first time you've heard my writing, I was actually pretty nervous! How silly is that. For the record, I prefer the imaginary to the real myself.